The first week of school is coming up soon! Here are a few tips and pieces of advice to help you make the most of your first week on campus:
- Explore the Campus! Everyone has their favorite spot on campus to hang out before, after, or between classes. Take some time before your classes to find out where your classes are and find your favorite spot (mine is on the 2nd floor of the H-Wing at Davis campus, there are some really great tables there!)
- Talk to people in your classes! You are not the only one who is nervous and anxious about starting classes, chances are there are many other people who feel the same way you do. Take the opportunity during the first few weeks to talk to people in your classes, this can really help when it comes to group assignments or studying for tests later in the year!
- Pick up your OneCard! This is EXTREMELY important because it identifies you as a Sheridan student, and grants you access to your classrooms, the shuttle bus, and many more amazing FREE resources that you have on campus. It also makes it easier to print on campus!
- Budget your time and plan your semester! When you get your course outlines and you see what assignments will be due throughout the semester, add them to your calendar! Try your best to plan ahead and budget your time appropriately, and DO NOT FORGET to plan time for some self-care, relaxation, or Netflix to unwind.
- Check out your dining options! All campuses have some amazing food and drink options to help those cravings while studying! Trafalgar has the AMAZING taco in a bag at Union Burrito, and the Marquee has tons of amazing food options. HMC has a Starbucks on campus and a Union Burger right across the street. Davis has the Den, which has awesome western and Indian fusion options, vegetarian options and so much more! Davis also has a Booster Juice (my personal favorite) which has over 30 different flavours of smoothies as well as some fresh juices!
- Buy your books! You do not want to fall behind on your readings. Buy your books during the first week so you can complete the readings as they are assigned to ensure that you do not fall behind, and so you know what is happening every week in class.
- Explore your surroundings! There are some fun places to explore near each campus – Square One is right beside HMC, Shopper’s World is 5 minutes from Davis, and Trafalgar has some amazing little shops just minutes from campus – including “Style Encore” an adorable second-hand store just across the street! Explore what is around your campus so that you can enjoy some down time when you aren’t studying hard for your exams and working on assignments!
- Check out the athletics department! Sheridan has a great Athletics department that has intramural, extramural and varsity sport teams! All full-time students have access to their campus gym for FREE (HMC Student have access to the YMCA at 325 Burnhamthorpe). Take advantage of the Athletics department and all it has to offer!
- Relax, breath, and enjoy your time here! Your time at Sheridan will fly by, take some time to breath and relax throughout the year. And remember free, confidential counselling is available if you ever start to feel overwhelmed. Go to the Centre for Student Success (DAV – B230, HMC – A247, TRAF – B104) to book an appointment.
Enjoy your first week and good luck! And remember your First Year Connection Peer Mentor is always available to answer any questions you may have.